Saturday, May 9, 2009

Queen Maker Have You Met Mami?

This is how Queen Maker first met my mother.  

I was fifteen years old when I first met my boyfriend and future husband (but after this encounter, I don't know why he stayed around.)  I invited him to my house to meet my mother and father. When we walked in,  Mami was preparing dinner. She was using the large butcher knife cutting a whole fryer chicken into pieces.  

Queen Maker went over to introduce himself and to talk to her for a few minutes.  Mami asked him, “So you like my daughter?”  He said he did and she said, “Just so you remember I’m really good with a knife and..” she suddenly thrust the butcher knife into his belly.  Queen Maker’s knees almost buckled.  He was shocked and when he looked down, expecting a big hole in his belly, he realizes that she was holding the tip of the blade.  She was so good with a knife that when she pretended to thrust the knife at his belly, she just let go of knife handle and with the dexterity of a magician, moved her hand to the tip of the knife in one swift, perfect move. She laughed and laughed and laughed until tears rolled down her cheeks.

I walk up and ask, "So Queen Maker have you met Mami, yet?"

1 comment:

Jim Styro said...

I am loving your blog. I haven't had the opportunity to read every post - yet; but I have that to look forward to.

I'm lucky enough to have heard you tell this story in person. So what struck me in reading the story was... "Queen Maker". I was well into the story before I realized to whom that referred. When I finished, my first thought was "That is a beautiful nickname for a wife to bestow upon her husband."

I've never met a man with as much reason to be secure in his masculinity as your husband - but just to help keep the whole gender thing straight, I'll think of him as THE Queen Maker. If that's OK.

Related Posts with Thumbnails