Saturday, May 23, 2009

Fortress of No

When I asked my husband for a favor, his response was,

“You know I can only say yes to you.  What ever you want, it is yes. Men will always say yes to a woman.  Yes, yes, yes to everything.”

True. But sometimes getting all those yeses makes me nervous.  That constant barrage of yes, yes, yes, coming in from all directions, makes me what to build a sanctuary, hiding from the yeses, until the sanctuary becomes a castle fortress, fending off the yeses with cannonballs of no, no, no.  Soon the yeses become overwhelming and “the rabbit trying to escape the trap” mentality takes over.
Now, my no, no, no become over zealous in their attempt to squelch the yeses before they even begin. Then as the years go by, the yeses no longer come at me from all directions, but just one most loving direction. Soon even his yeses become but a trickle.  Yikes! What am I doing?   My prince charming, my knight in shining armor is waiting.  Drop the drawbridge, open the gates, and let the trumpets sound. Yes, Yes, Yes.

2 comments:

Jim Styro said...

I can only say again that I love the way you express the feelings and situations about which you write. They are seemingly universal - or at least widely experienced - and your expression of them encompasses those common elements without losing your own voice.

One other thing (to leaven all this praise): If you're going to "drop the drawbridge", get a room.

unmitigated me said...

Do you mean you've chewed your own leg off? Yikes!

Related Posts with Thumbnails