Sunday, May 22, 2011

Reunited and It Feels So Good

OMG, Jen has brought back the Spin Cycle!  What could she be thinking? As an experienced "mother," I know that Sprite will become increasingly more involved in projects, parties, school functions,and major events that Jen, as the facilitator majordomo, just might need to put Spin Cycle on hiatus once more.  So I'm taking advantage of it now while the going is good.  Thanks, Jen. You're a peach.


This week's topic is Reunions.

Although I have over 45 first cousins, and who knows how many second cousins, a reunion of this magnitude will most likely, never occur.

I went to my one and only high school reunion at the five year mark, a picnic, cheap and easy. I know its a cliche, but the ugliest girl was a stunning, desirable beauty and the drop dead gorgeous and most desirable jock was unrecognizable with a paunch and hair line that resembled Friar Tuck. We grabbed the yearbook to figure out who this guy was.  After the initial shock, I felt a little guilty, which usually means I feel the need to go to confession, because I felt pleased at his demise. Wicked girl.

My five year high school reunion lesson - justice. To me this was a high water mark. No need to go to another.

My reunions are daily.  Every meeting is a reunion. I can't stand going too long without hugging a person I love.

There are those that I miss so much right now.  I've gone a whole month without hugging my son. When it hits two months, I barely can stand it. I've gone a whole three months without hugging my little sister.  I've gone a whole six months without hugging some of my "extended" children, not really mine, but they feel like mine. I miss them. I hope to fill these holes in my soul, soon.

Every day, I reunite with my mom who is eighty years old. For her, waking up every morning is a reunion with the sun, life, family and God.

I envy young parents. Because every evening, you still get to experience the reunion of your very own family together under one roof.  Rejoice. This is the most precious reunion you can ever experience.  Don't take it for granted.



And don't take for granted this reunion with the Spin Cycle. Off you go and don't forget to come back, because I need the hugs.

10 comments:

unmitigated me said...

And here I thought it was cool that the Spin Cycle was back. Then, I saw a post from ELLIE! Yay!

I'm checking the weather. We need to walk. Are you up for it?

Anonymous said...

Ellie, this is just a lovely post - you're right, every day is a reunion.

Jan from the Sushi Bar

Stacy Uncorked said...

You are so right - every day is a reunion. And now I can't wait even more to move back to Seattle so I can reunite and hug my parents and siblings and nieces and nephews a lot more regularly - this long-distance cyberspace hugging just doesn't cut it anymore. ;) Great spin! :)

SC: Reunions - Love 'em or Hate 'em?

Mama Badger said...

I completely agree. Well said. I can't wait until the day is over so that we can all be together again. And my favorite "night out"? Going over to my SILs and just watching all the kids hang out and tumble and laugh together! Here's a virtual hug. Sorry I sucked about visiting in between Spin cycles. Guess that's one good thing about a reunion, right?

Cajoh said...

I didn't go to my 10 year reunion because I realized it was too soon. The 20th was much more enjoyable since everybody was established and more mature (I guess children does that to people).

Krystal said...

I agree - I have reunions with my kids every tuesday and thursday and can't wait for them. Those are the best reunions ever and the hardest to walk away from.

It's not easy not being with the ones you love every day but it makes you cherish each moment that you do even more...

Awesome spin!!

VandyJ said...

Enjoying the small reunions makes each day that much brighter. Sometimes it's hard to remember that.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful reminders! Great Spin!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful reminders! Great Spin!

Kate said...

Great spin. It's so important to remember the reunions each day! It's like appreciating the simple joys that make our life great.

Related Posts with Thumbnails