Monday, April 19, 2010

The Quotable Impulse

Damn it.  If it wasn't for UnMom with her RTT's (could be contagious) and Jen at Sprite's Keeper, keeping us going with the whirly, swirly Spin Cycle, where would I be?

Today's Spin Cycle is about words that move you, quotes that soothe you, and phrases that make you smile.

Words, quotable words, I love them.  Some of the best come from Twain and Franklin.  But great lines come from every genre.  And I'm picking a few that have stuck to me the moment I heard them. They are with me forever.

When the right moment presents itself, these quotes bubble up. I've said them aloud many times and sometimes get the confused doggy head tilt from many a folk. But every once in a while, someone gets the reference and a small laugh is heard in the back of the room.  And I know I have found a kindred spirit.

Ah, the coveted mind meld.   Priceless.



"Pretty. Handsome. Pretty, Handsome. Dr. Smith."

"Those beautiful beautiful sound of nickels, nickels, nickels."

"And your little dog too!"

"Oh what a world. What a world!"

"What a maroon!"

"Cats and Dogs! Living together!"

"That chick is toast!"

"Seven-Eleven, Ha!"  "Number please."  "Seven-Eleven, Ha!"

"Damn it Jim! I'm a doctor not a ..."

"I'm sooo tired...of playing the game."

"It says here.   ... A person can develop a cold."

"Fasten your seat-belts.  It's gonna be a bumpy night."

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"Come at me with that banana!"


One of many great Mark Twain quotes, "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority. It is time to pause and reflect."

My hero, Benjamin Franklin's quote, "If you know how to spend less than you get, you have the Philosopher's stone."

My fifteen year old son complaining, "Why can't they let a song die with dignity?"

My niece when she was three years old, walked around my mother's house picking up various trinkets, figurines, whatever was in her reach and placing the treasures in a plastic grocery bag she carried on her shoulder.  I asked her what she was doing and told her she needed to put everything back.  She put up her hands, shrugged her shoulders, and said, "Sorry, nothing I can do.  It's in the bag."


It's in the bag folks, so head over to Jen's Spin Cycle for more of the quotable. I'll bring the potables.

7 comments:

unmitigated me said...

The problem with quotes in the company we keep, is that they are likely to touch off a firestorm!

Sprite's Keeper said...

"Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
I used to hear that quote a good twenty times a day when working at The Great Movie Ride in Disney Hollywood Studios. Reading it here made me smile BIG. You're linked!

Captain Dumbass said...

Cats and dogs! Living together! Ha!

*tinkling piano keys*

They hate that.

Erica@PLRH said...

By the time I got to "Come at me with a banana" I choked on my lunch because I was laughing so hard. Thanks! Fun Spin!

gretchen said...

I agree about the RTTs and Spin Cycles! I always eagerly await Fridays to get my new topic!

Great quotes! I think I got most of them, but you sent me to Google on a couple!

Cajoh said...

You got many a laugh from me on those.

What I find difficult is that unless you have heard the quote before you may never get it even if you Google it.

Anonymous said...

Your niece got me... That was hilarious and very insightful for such a young age!

Related Posts with Thumbnails