Monday, June 4, 2012

I'll Do the Driving Thank You

Day 4 of the 30 day challenge inspired by We Work for Cheese.  The topic - behind the wheel.  I have to admit this is one place I don't really like to be, behind the wheel. Oh, who am I kidding?  Move over, I'll drive.


Behind the Wheel


My wheel is a monster of a wheel.  It's huge and hard to handle.  I like to think of myself as Jack Sparrow at the helm of the Black Pearl in a storm.  If only I had that lovely little compass that would point directly at the thing I wanted the most.  That would be most helpful.

I'm steering a lot of things over here.  I don't really like to be behind the wheel, but at the same time I really don't like anyone else touching the steering wheel either.  I drive because I am a lousy passenger.  I steer our business. I steer the finances. People look to me for the answers.  Everyone happily gives me control of the wheel. They assure me how well I do it, but really they just want to avoid the responsibility and only enjoy the ride when its carefree.

But I like the control.  I get to control my destiny. No one to blame but myself.  And I don't plan on any blame landing on me.  So I'm a good driver.  I'm a safe driver.   Admittedly sometimes too safe.   I am the captain of my ship and I decide where to steer her.  If only I could make myself go wild sometime and let that wheel spin.  Let it fly and see what direction, what new course we will follow.  But that takes guts.  I would feel safer if I had a magic compass in my possession.

6 comments:

P.J. said...

Having the control is such a big aspect of the enjoyment of driving. Good post!

Babs-beetle said...

I think I prefer to drive with one hand on the wheel with someone else assisting, just to ease the burden of it all :)

nonamedufus said...

Oh, I just have to drive. I'm a terrible passenger, always telling my wife how she should be driving. No it's safest when she's the passenger. I think the key to a good marriage is letting the guy drive. Even if we don't ask for directions.

Linda Medrano said...

Ellie, I would probably like flying more if I was the pilot too. I like having the control as well, but actually at this point, I'd just as soon walk. If I can't walk there, I might not even want to go!

We Work For Cheese said...

Ellie, I really love this post (300 points for you!). I can relate in that I need to feel in control, but when it comes to certain things, like driving, there's a part of me - the rebellious part - that has to "let it fly" and see where I end up!

Linda said...

I like the feeling of being in control, too. In the car, in my life, etc. Not that I try to control others...too much.

Related Posts with Thumbnails